Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 5 *YAWN* of I'm feeling...pinterested..

I'm beat.

This is not easy/fun anymore.

Yesterday was Crafting for myself. I chose something simple, supposedly easy and basic. Or so I thought.

1.


Doesn't that look amazing?
I saw it on Pinterest, had a tank top just laying around and HAD to try it!
Sounded REALLY easy too!
Warning: Whenever something sounds easy, means it's soooo very hard and time consuming, it's not meant for you. Run away from projects that "appear" easy.

But I'm stupid so I trekked on like an idiot and decided I was going to make this dress.
I bought my tank at Target and I found the fabric at JoAnn Fabrics 60% off. I am glad it matches a little, but I kind of find it ugly. These are not colors I would be naturally drawn to. These were colors on clearance and I had coupons. They win.

I cut my tank top in half...then cried a little. Cutting perfectly good clothing always makes me a little nervous.

I wrapped the fabric 1 1/2 times around me then pinned the long end together and sewed there. Doesn't make sense? Don't care. I give up.

Then you are supposed to sew along the waistband portion of your skirt and it's "supposed" to gather because you threaded your bobbin, by hand, with the stupid but special magical elastic thread that you had to hunt down at the store and it took you forever and ever to find.

And it doesn't gather.
So you cry.
Then hit your machine really hard.
After that, you suck down a Cherry Coke to help with the pain.
All is good.

The poster above put something in her blog about messing with your tension on your bobbin when using elastic thread, with a brother machine, and how to get it to do what I need it to do.

Except, I'm not good at sewing or messing with my machine.
I made a Nightfury once, from How to Train Your Dragon, and it looked like a turd with wings.
My son loved it, but it makes me giggle when I see it.

Then this is what happens.
You start messing with crap that you have no idea how to repair.
It's not pretty.
My poor machine.

I gave up and put it back together.

And used REGULAR elastic instead!
Which I happened to have the whole time and didn't have to hunt down.
Whew.
Day. Saved.

After putting my elastic in, I had to sew my tank on.

Ooooh, isn't that waistband beautiful? Of course not!
That's why there's directions on a sash. Or you can use a big belt if you have one.
I chose the sash because I had a TON of extra fabric.
It's 9:30 p.m.
I had been working on this dress since 10 a.m. on and off.
We had a Dr. appt. and a soccer game.
Darn distractions.

It's 10 p.m. and my husband was snoring. So I did the best I could with my photos.
The dress is....well. It looks like a dress, right?
I actually think it's just my body type. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this style of dress.

Here's my half-assed sash from the back.
I gave up after a certain point.
So very tired.

I decided to try it with a shrug/sweater thing I had.
Not too bad.

It looks alright.

Although, my fabric is see-through, so no romping outside in the sunlight.
My undies were giving a free peep-show.
I would need a bigger bow for them not to show.

And shut up about my messy closet.
It's where I hide stuff.
Apparently not very well, but when the doors closed, my room looks really tidy.

Ok.
That was it.
That's all I actually accomplished yesterday.

I have cooking/recipes today.
This should be easy.
Right?


1 comment:

  1. D-
    I dont know I am no seamstress by no means I think it turned out pretty well though, granted I am not seeing it close up but I like it, good job to you! Will you ever wear it? I would (well if I had a place to wear a dress which is never) but I would wear it if I had a place to wear it....
    Like I said I really dont sew, I use stitch witch as much as possible, I have curtains, table cloths, crib skirts, valances and even hemmed pants oh yeah and a cape or two all with stitch witch... Great job though!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments...except bad ones. You can keep the bad ones. Or maybe disguise them as nice ones. I know people that are really good at that.