Monday, October 13, 2014

Celebrating My Children Week- Declan

This week is considered a short week here due to MEA weekend and Jalon and I are going out of town for a few days.

We were supposed to go to New Orleans for our 10 year anniversary last May, but had to postpone due to complications with Jalon. So when we rescheduled, instead of New Orleans, we chose Arizona...it better cool down a few notches before I get there. And I mean really cool down...not just to 90 degrees. I am very excited to go there and see my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, go shopping, eat good food and explore. Plus, spending time with my husband WITHOUT our children could be fun.

If you know me at all, you know that I'm experiencing some reservations about this whole "vacation" thing. We leave in 3 days and this is about when my panic sets in.

Here are my concerns:
- My husband is not a planner. He is a "let's just see what happens" kind of person. I'm a "let's reserve hotels now, so we at least have a guaranteed bed while were there" kind of person.
- I will miss my kids. Right now, I'm excited to take off without them. But I know what happens once I'm gone. I miss the crap out of them.
- Airplanes. I hate airplanes. Although, we are flying first class. Very excited for that.

Because of our trip, I only have 3 days this week to create posts, I decided to dedicate the 3 days to my 3 kids. Works out quite well. Plus, they give me such great ideas.

Today is all about Declan.

He's my special child. 1 in every 3 kids is always considered "special" (Not sure if an official study was done, but in my book, that's how it works.) In my family, it's my brother. (Love you Mike!)

Here are 5 things you may not know about my child:

1. He does not shop well. I took a quick trip to the grocery store and had him put stuff on the counter for me. He did so well that I gave him a high five. He then did this, "Mommy, can I give you a SUPER BIG high five?" "Sure." I thought. Why not? The grocery store was packed and he was behaving. I usually go along with his plans, just to keep him quiet as long as possible. I held out my hand for my SUPER BIG high five and that's when it happened. He slammed his hand straight into my lady cave. Hard. I could hear the quiet snorts of laughter from behind me. I didn't know how to react! He knew what he did wasn't right, but he just sat there, staring and waiting for my reaction. My Mom, who was with me and trying to hold back her own laughter, pulled him out of there before I did something really awful.

2. He tries so hard to be nice. It was my birthday last week. He came up to me halfway through the day and said, "Mommy, I think you need to shower." I said, "I just did. I even curled my hair..." Then he said, "Your hair looks crusty. Happy Birthday, Mommy!" Gee...thanks.

3. He really, truly, gets me. I made lunch for the kids and left them alone in the kitchen. (Side note: Never do this. Bad idea. Children are kind of naughty.) They were being obnoxious and loud, and I heard the word butt. (Butt, poop, pee, all words banned from this house right now. I just can't take it anymore.) I walk in there, with my "MOM" face on and instantly I hear Evan say "Uh-oh..." Then Declan shrivels up and starts saying on repeat, "You're beautiful, you're beautiful, you're beautiful..."

It worked. Forgot why I even went in there.

4. A "Good" day with Declan involves 3 or less moments spent in time-out. Also, If I don't have a sore throat by the end of the day from yelling, I call it a win.

5. He's my daredevil and gets himself into trouble on a daily basis. He was climbing the wall the other day at Papa Murphy's, while we were waiting for the pizza to be prepared, and some lady came by and said, "You should get down from there or you'll get hurt." I just looked at her and shrugged. She looked appalled and then left, shaking her head at my lack of parenting. He has more muscles and ability than I've ever seen in a child. Declan was born with a 6-pack and a concrete skull. It's a miracle that he's survived this long. I don't think that ledge will take him down. At least for long. I know my child quite well by now. That also includes knowing when to pick my battles with him. That was a battle that I clearly wasn't going to win and it seemed like such a small thing to pick at. Let it go, lady. Let it go.

 
Plus, I must be doing something right.
Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments...except bad ones. You can keep the bad ones. Or maybe disguise them as nice ones. I know people that are really good at that.