Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sometimes my son creeps me out...

I have a delightful 5 year old that has never wet the bed and will get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, alone.

My bathroom.

Which is just fine.

Except when he decides to see how loud he can make Mommy scream.

I sleep pretty deep. We have a ceiling fan that blocks out soft sounds, like gentle footsteps of a sneaky child stealthily crossing carpeted bedroom. We do have a nightlight, but it's a very soft light, just so we don't step on anything or trip (huge klutz here, remember?).

I will all of a sudden feel a change in the air around me, a kind of shift or a soft sigh. My eyes pop open and all I see is a head, hovering inches from my own.

That's when the screaming starts.

OK, so it's not full out screaming, but a pretty good shriek comes out and I startle enough to wake Jalon. (Never, ever, wake Jalon. Trust me. My son has even learned that it's a bad idea. Jalon talks like he's there, but he's not there. Full conversations in his sleep. If I hadn't been creeped out already, that would do it.)

Then Evan starts to cry a little, because I'm pretty sure I just scared the crap out of him. But I keep telling him to not just stand there and stare at me. I'm not 100% sure that I wouldn't scream if he was whispering to me, but it's worth a try, right?

"I just wanted you to tuck me in, Mommy."

You think that after years of this I would be used to it and not wake up in full out terror anymore.

But, there's seriously nothing scarier than seeing just a face staring at you in the middle of the night...

Well, OK. I'm sure I could come up with a few things that would probably scare me more, but he does a fantastic job at it for being 5 years old and not even trying.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments...except bad ones. You can keep the bad ones. Or maybe disguise them as nice ones. I know people that are really good at that.