Friday, September 19, 2014

Celiac Disease Sucks.

Yes. I've stated the obvious.

It really does suck.

I was diagnosed last year at 32 years old. I spent 32 years eating whatever the heck I wanted and loving every single second of it. Like Pop-Tarts, Fruit Loops, bread, crackers, cookies, and pizza.

I will say, that for the most part, it's not too bad. But some days are MUCH harder than others...

Here are a few examples of why it sucks sometimes (more than other times):

 
1.
Donuts.
Just that one little thing.
Lots of people tell me, "But there are gluten free donuts!"
No.
Just. No.
Frozen, boxed donuts, purchased at $8.00 for a box of 6, that you have to heat up and have a slightly similar taste, do NOT count!
I was at the grocery store this morning, and the first thing I noticed was how good the bakery smelled. Full of freshly baked pastries.
I was drooling instantly.
I really wanted to go buy a donut, freshly made that second, and devour it, right there in front of everyone.
I miss chocolate donuts, and those old fashioned blueberry ones and even the simple glazed kind.
I also miss weekend morning trips to the bakery for a breakfast treat with the kids...
*Sigh*
 
 
2.
Last week, I was out and about, without my kids.
After running errands all morning and into the afternoon, I was starving.
On days like this, I would have made a quick stop at Subway, a special treat for myself.
Stuffing thick, warm bread with meats, cheeses and dressing.
But no.
I have yet to find a gluten free hoagie that tastes REMOTELY like actual bread.
Or even looks like bread.
Once again...not happening.
 
3.
Nights like tonight, that are full of errands with the family, we would usually be able to pick from numerous restaurants or fight over fast food joints.
Now, our only "safe" options are far away from home, expensive as heck and no one likes to eat there.
 
We haven't had a meal out in a few weeks.
Celiac Disease, you can kiss my tush.
 
Although, I will say, my tush is much smaller now that I've run out of food to eat.
Because I'm no longer allowed to cram donuts down my chute at all hours of the day, I lost quite a bit of weight.
 
Still, not exactly worth it, in my opinion.
 
I know there are a million substitutes that are entering the world. People are attempting all sorts of scientific experiments to make gluten free food taste like something we would actually want to eat and doesn't smell, or taste, like a foot.
I spend hours, and lots of money, trying my best to re-create my favorites at home.
Not only for me, but for my 7 year old that has been diagnosed with the same thing and wasn't given 32 years to eat and enjoy whatever he wanted.
 
I found these items on Zulily the other week and went crazy:
This brand is really, really good!
Pretty expensive though, BUT, they are amazing when it comes to the options.
 
For example-the Pan Bars (the box that's opened in the picture) offered, at least, 8 different recipes on the inside and outside of their box. All of which sounded so delicious. (I did the carrot cake one, and yes, it was sooooo good!)
 
The biscuit mix does the same thing. I've made cinnamon rolls, biscuits and monkey bread from that one mix. All turned out delicious.
 
The Better Batter, was a bit expensive. Flour blends usually are. I like it so far.
 
No, I'm not getting paid to say this.
However, if you also cannot consume gluten and are looking for things that still taste good- these have proven to be worthy.
 
It's just nice to know that these products are worth the price you have to pay.
Stock up.
 
If you also cannot have gluten, please be my friend?
Celiac's Unite!
 
(We could even start a club! A very unpopular club that would revolve around us talking about food we miss the most, lots of tears over cookies that will never be tasted again and how no one understands how hard this is.)
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments...except bad ones. You can keep the bad ones. Or maybe disguise them as nice ones. I know people that are really good at that.